Medical Aid in Dying (MAiD)

What is Medical Aid in Dying (MAiD)?

Medical aid in dying (MAiD) involves the administration of medications by a doctor or a specialized nurse practitioner (SNP), at the patient’s request, in order to relieve their suffering by hastening death.

Who is this service aimed at?

When it comes to the eligibility requirements for medical aid in dying, a two-track approach was introduced into the Criminal Code: one for those whose natural death is reasonably foreseeable and another for those whose natural death is not reasonably foreseeable.

Only a person who meets all of the following criteria may obtain medical aid in dying:

  • Be insured according to the Health Insurance Act
  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be capable of giving consent to care, which means the person must be able to understand the situation and the information given by health professionals as well as make decisions
  • Be in one of the following situations:
    • suffering from a serious and incurable disease and having a medical situation characterized by an advanced and irreversible decline in capacity;
    • have a serious physical impairment resulting in significant and persistent disability.
  • Experience constant and unbearable physical or psychological suffering that cannot be relieved in a manner the person deems tolerable.

To top

How can I benefit from this service?

You can direct your request to any healthcare professional. They have a professional obligation to provide you with support.  If they are unable to provide you with the required information or to assist you with your formal request, they must ensure that another professional can do so.

Health professionals must not ignore a request for medical aid in dying. 

To top

Where is this service offered?

You can have the discussion about where the medical aid in dying will be administered with the doctor or specialized nurse practitioner (SNP) who is overseeing your care. 

If you believe that your rights have not been respected, the Act Respecting Health and Social Services provides that you can submit a complaint with the Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner.   

To top

Dernière modification de la page le