Frequently Asked Questions

When will I be able to speak to a social worker?

When you call, leave a detailed message with your child’s full name, a phone number where you can be reached at all times and the reason for your call. Please note that requests are prioritized and that it can take up to 2 weeks to return calls.

To request the services of a social worker, call the ID-ASD-PD access point at 514-363-3025, extension 2257.

I submitted a request for service with the readaptation centre. What is the status of my request?

For an answer to that question, please call the ID-ASD-PD access point at 514-363-3025, extension 2257.

My child is turning 18 soon. What do I have to do?

Your child is entitled to receiving social assistance for people with disabilities.

Below are the steps to follow:

  • Step 1: Open a bank account in your child’s name before they turn 18.
  • Step 2: Pick up the required documents from Emploi Québec located at 1000 Labrosse Street, 4th floor, Pointe-Claire (at the corner of Saint-Jean)
  • Step 3: Fill out the documents:
    •  A – Medical information (must be completed by a doctor)
    •  B – Disability benefit application form 
    •  C – Administration of Financial Assistance by a Third Party form 
    • Once completed, return the documents to the same location.

My child will be 21 soon. What do I have to do?

Your child is eligible to receive services through the school system until the age of 21. After that, they can benefit from services from a centre de réadaptation en déficience intellectuelle (intellectual disability rehabilitation centre) (CRDI) for jobs, internships, workshops, day centres, etc. 

You must notify us of this transition at the start of your child’s last school year so that we can initiate the process with a CRDI.

For more information, see the Transition from School to Active Life (TSAL) section.

Does my adult child need protective supervision (curatorship)?

Requesting protective supervision is based on certain requirements. Your child must be declared unfit and must meet the following criteria as it pertains to:

  • Their degree of isolation (no loved ones, unsuitable or indifferent loved one)
  • The foreseeable duration of their incapacity
  • The nature or state of their affairs
  • There not being any mandatary already designated by them to give them adequate assistance or representation 

Reference: document for the CSSS de l’Ouest-de-l’Île, October 2010, Curateur public du Québec

Various institutions (banks, schools, hospitals, etc.) may insist on there being protective supervision. Please note that the criteria established by the office of the Curateur public du Québec take precedence.

My child has not yet been officially diagnosed with an ID or an ASD. What should I do?

ID: Children between the ages of 0 and 7 have access to early stimulation services at the CLSC or in the community.  For more information, please contact the IS-ASD-PD access point at 514-363-3025, extension 2257.

If your child was diagnosed with a “global developmental delay”, be sure to have them reassessed at age 7 to confirm an intellectual disability diagnosis. “Global development delay” diagnoses do not apply to children older than 7 years. 

ASD (0 to 5 years): If you have any concerns about your child’s development, contact your pediatrician for further assessment. If necessary, contact an ASD assessment clinic (Montreal Children’s Hospital, Douglas Mental Health University Institute or CHU Sainte-Justine). You can also go to a private clinic to have your child diagnosed. 

While waiting for the diagnosis, you can contact the psychosocial reception desk for early stimulation services at the CLSC or in the community. 

ASD (5 years and up): You must contact your doctor and get a referral to have your child evaluated. You can also go to a private clinic. 

Dernière modification de la page le