Under the Act to facilitate the disclosure of wrongdoings relating to public bodies and with our CIUSSS’ adoption of the politique sur la divulgation d'actes répréhensibles et de la prévention des fraudes (Disclosure of Wrongdoings and Fraud Prevention Policy) (in French only), it is important to reiterate the IMPORTANCE of disclosing wrongdoings to the person responsible for dealing with disclosures at our CIUSSS or to the Québec Ombudsman, something that is done in strict confidence and that is protected from reprisals.
Any act committed or about to be committed against the MWI CIUSSS and that constitutes:
- A contravention of an Act or regulation applicable in Québec;
- A serious breach of the standards of ethics and professional conduct;
- A misuse of funds or property belonging to the institution, including the funds or property it manages or holds for others;
- Gross mismanagement within a public agency, including an abuse of authority;
- Any act or omission that seriously compromises or may seriously compromise a person’s health or safety or the environment;
- Directing or counselling a person to commit a wrongdoing above.
Examples of wrongdoings:
- Misusing influence in transactions for benefit;
- Misappropriation of funds, supplies or other assets (pay cheques, cheques, etc.);
- Falsification of reported work hours;
- Falsification of cheques, invoices and requisitions;
- Impropriety with intent in the handling or reporting of money or financial transactions;
- Misusing the institution’s assets (for example: office supplies, vehicles, mobile phones, computers) for personal gain;
- Destruction, removal or inappropriate use of archives, records, furniture, fixtures, and equipment;
- Unauthorized use of confidential information;
- Disclosing confidential and proprietary information to outside parties for benefit;
- Undeclared conflicts of interest;
- Accepting or seeking anything of material value from suppliers or persons providing services or materials to the institution;
- Accepting bribes or benefits to act.
Do you know who does what in our organization when it comes to the roles and responsibilities of the bodies below? Have you aimed at the right target?
- Internal Audit Office
- Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner
- Users’ Committee
- Civility Office
The person responsible for dealing with disclosures within our organization is always on the lookout for wrongdoings, including fraud. You are our eyes and ears on the ground. It’s not alright to turn a blind eye to such acts.